FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What are Music Waves’ term dates?
Music Waves has four equal school terms a year. Each term is 9 weeks. 9 week terms provide the perfect length to a course to sustain enthusiasm and preserve value-to-you throughout. View this years current Term Dates.
What does it cost?
Music Waves keeps its rates in line with the award advised by collective music teaching associations.
The private tuition rate is all-inclusive of GST, of drive-out costs, and and large DISCOUNTS are available for families in one household who have multiple lessons back-to-back.
Music Waves’ private lessons are tailored, unlike group lessons, you receive one-to-one attention. Your teacher will drive-to-you so you can sit at home, save your precious time, do something for you or observe the REAL PROGRESS and REAL RESULTS in your home.
At what age should my child start learning?
Most will be ready at age 6 for a full half hour of tuition. Still, every child has different cognitive strengths, challenges and attention spans. Ones that take to mathematics and picking up a system or language will have less cognitive dissonance toward tuition. If you have a child that is 5 years or younger, consider asking about 15 minute private lessons or kindermusik group classes.
What happens if I must cancel?
At Music Waves, if you cancel and provide over 24 hours notice you are given an opportunity to have one make-up lesson given you can reschedule that week. A maximum of 1 make-up lesson is granted per term. Cancellations that are made within 4 hours of the scheduled lesson are forfeited. Email firstname.lastname@example.org straight at the first sign that you must cancel.
What instrument should I get?
Piano Absolute beginners: a simple 61 key electric keyboard is okay for absolute beginners
Learning piano for more than one year? get a Roland digital piano : an 88 key digital piano, digital piano (more portable suitable for gigs) or acoustic piano (hunt on gumtree but consider tuning, moving and possible restoration costs.
Can I get my tutor’s private number?
Music Waves has a policy not to disclose the tutors’ numbers to the parents. Music Waves does all the administration and parent correspondence for the tutors so they can have their down-time.
You can text or email the coordinator anytime with all your queries – 0401 268 742.
Whether it be times, scheduling, cancellations, make-up lessons, rescheduling, exams, eisteddfods, changing address, discussing your child’s progress, music literacy or going for school scholarships or school placements, just get in touch on 04012 MUSIC.
Where do I get tuition books from?
Music Waves uses Progressive Piano for Young Beginners Books 1-3 before progressing to the AMEB Board of Studies syllabus for Piano for Leisure. The books can be ordered online at Mall music. In order of progression:
- Progressive Piano for Young Beginners Book 1 by Gary Turner
- Progressive Piano for Young Beginners Book 2 by Gary Turner
- A Dozen a Day Book 1 (Blue book)
- Progressive Piano for Young Beginners Book 3 by Gary Turner
- AMEB Preliminary Piano for Leisure Orange series
- AMEB Grade 1 Piano for Leisure Purple series or Orange Series
- AMEB Grade 2 Piano for Leisure Purple Series
- AMEB Grade 3 Piano for Leisure Orange Series or Purple Series
- AMEB Grade 4 Piano for Leisure Orange Series
When will my child be ready to sit an exam?
How much practice should my child be doing?
In order to preserve the value of your lessons we insist on these guidelines:
- Beginner Book 1: Minimum 20mins/week (eg. 2 x 10 minutes or 4 x 5 minute sessions)
- Book 2 Level: Min. 30 mins/week
- Book 3 Level: Min. 40 mins/ week
- Preliminary Level: Min. 45 mins/week
- Grade 1: min. 1 hour/week
- Grade 2: Min. 2 hours/week
- Grade 3: Min. 3 hours/week
- Grade 4: Min 3 hours/week
- Grade 5: Min 3 hours/week